Model Formats for ALICE
ALICE primarily supports Autodesk Revit (RVT) and Navisworks (NWC/NWD) formats for seamless integration. These formats can be directly uploaded to the ALICE platform.
However, ALICE's capabilities are not confined to models developed in Revit. It also accommodates models from various software platforms that can export geometry in DWG, NWC, or IFC formats. A range of platforms can export in these compatible formats, including Rhino, Civil 3D, Archicad, Tekla, Infraworks, Inventor, AECOsim, Microstation, and OpenBridge/Road, among others.
It's important to note that while intermediate formats like DWG and IFC are used to upload a model to ALICE, any required modifications to model elements must be executed in the original software platform.
Model Upload Workflow
ALICE is designed to support uploads of Revit and Navisworks files. Revit models (RVT files) can be exported as NWC or NWD files that include only the essential 3D elements for scheduling.
For BIMs developed in non-Revit platforms, the workflow involves exporting to NWC/NWD formats for ALICE compatibility. In scenarios lacking direct NWC export capabilities, models should be exported to DWG or IFC, followed by conversion to NWC.
Navis Export Settings
Once all the modeling and metadata are finished in the native software, create NWD files for ALICE upload as per the following steps:
- Export views as NWC from Revit or IFC from other platforms.
- Keep all the files in the same folder; this would make it easier to update files.
- Open NavisWorks and Click on Append and select all the files.
- Save an NWF file first and then save this file as a NWD file.
- Upload this file to ALICE.
- If you need to add any new elements like placeholder elements, create a separate view for it and export the NWC file. Append this to the NWF file and follow the same steps.